Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm No Sucka

I've only fallen victim to an e-marketing campaign when it actually benefited my bills. Somehow, Verizon Wireless found my email address. I really don't know how. I've never, ever given it to them...probably should look into that one... Anyhow, once, they sent an email telling me I was going over my text message plan, and if I added X package, I would save Y dollars. It made sense. I called them, and changed it within the week. I thought that was reasonable. Appreciated, even. I would rather spend $60 on a plan that fits me, than pay $120 including overages.

Until the last couple of weeks, I never really paid attention to how many newsletters and email stuff I get that isn't personal. Here's a list: NPR Movie, Book, and Music email--I have to have these; very important to me, Sallie Mae, Credit Report site, Ticketmaster, 94.7 NRK, two musicians, Verizon, Stuffwhitepeoplelike, a clothing boutique, and a couple of others that aren't that interesting. It's kind of amazing how little of thought I gave this until now, or how often I find myself saying, "Yeah, I do need to have regular updates about this!" I have now been cognant of what letters I actually read, and which just get deleted immediately.

A little note on Ticketmaster: They are a relentless failure with their e-marketing campaigns. They try to give me ticket and tour updates on the one band I've bought tickets for through them this year online, and they are always incorrect with their information, or the venue they're trying to sell me tickets to is nowhere near a realm of possibility for me to attend.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Stuff white people like: saying things like sucka.

Natalie Emery said...

Brian, you know me so well. There's a great posting on the site that goes something like "Liking music black people don't anymore." It's fantastic. I'm pretty much the whitest kid you know.